Latest Tech & Streaming News
- French Three-Strikes Anti-Piracy Law Mostly Benefited American Moviesby Ernesto Van der Sar on October 22, 2020 at 7:53 PM
New research into the effects of the French anti-piracy law Hadopi shows that its introduction failed to significantly increase box-office revenue. It did, however, cause a shift in people's movie preferences. The interest of moviegoers in U.S. films increased, at the expense of other content, including French productions. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Logs Seized From F-Secure’s VPN Must Be Destroyed, Court Rulesby Andy Maxwell on October 22, 2020 at 9:02 AM
In January 2019, Finland's National Bureau of Investigation seized logging data from F-Secure's FREEDOME VPN service to investigate an alleged crime. After a prolonged legal process, the Helsinki Court of Appeal has now ruled that the seizure of the logs was illegal. As a result, all of the seized logs must be destroyed. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Twitch DMCA “Bloodbath” Trades Copyright Strikes For Due Processby Andy Maxwell on October 21, 2020 at 4:36 PM
A large number of Twitch users have had their videos deleted following a new round of mass DMCA notice processing. Twitch has also imposed an interesting 'deal' on those affected. In exchange for removing their ability to file a counternotice, Twitch won't be placing a copyright 'strike' against users' accounts. A fair 'amnesty' deal or a coach-and-horses through due process? From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Pirated Screeners of ‘Falling’ and ‘My Salinger Year’ Leak Online Earlyby Ernesto Van der Sar on October 21, 2020 at 9:49 AM
Two new pirated movie screeners appeared online this week, way ahead of the usual screener season. Pirate release group EVO published advance copies of 'Falling' and 'My Salinger Year,' two popular films at international festivals. The releases are not typical award screeners but appear to come from online festival screenings instead. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- There’s a Hidden ‘Proxy War’ Between YouTube and Stream Rippersby Ernesto Van der Sar on October 20, 2020 at 7:48 PM
Every day millions of people use YouTube rippers, tools that are often used to download music for free. Music industry insiders are sounding the alarm about this piracy threat but YouTube itself is not very vocal about the issue. Behind the scenes, however, YouTube is fighting an ongoing battle to block these sites, one that they're not winning just yet. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Hollywood Wins New ‘Pirate’ Blocking Order After Contentious Sites Removedby Andy Maxwell on October 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM
In the summer a group of major Hollywood studios, Netflix, and other movie companies filed a new pirate site blocking application in Australia. The list contained plenty of obviously infringing sites but also the domains of Iran's 'YouTube' and an Israeli newspaper. The Federal Court has now awarded the injunction but following our initial report, both contentious domains have been removed. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Sony Outlines More Streaming Services Heading to PlayStation 5 in Novemberby Philip Palermo on October 22, 2020 at 7:39 PM
A new blog post from Sony sheds more light on the types of streaming services we can expect when the next-generation PlayStation 5 launches in November. We learned about a few of these a month ago thanks to updated images of the PS5’s remote control, but this latest post adds some big names expected to The post Sony Outlines More Streaming Services Heading to PlayStation 5 in November appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Denon is Rolling Out Roku TV Ready Update to Select Soundbarsby Tmera Hepburn on October 22, 2020 at 6:09 PM
A firmware update is rolling out to certain eligible Denon soundbar products making them Roku TV Ready. The update will be available on Denon soundbars with HEOS Built-in, including the HEOS Bar, Home Cinema HS2, DHT-S716H and DHT-S516H. Being Roku TV Ready enables consumer electronics brands to make their products work seamlessly with Roku TV models. The Denon soundbars The post Denon is Rolling Out Roku TV Ready Update to Select Soundbars appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Pluto TV Adds ‘Narcos’ to Its Lineupby Jess Barnes on October 22, 2020 at 5:35 PM
Last week, we reported that Pluto TV had scored rights to the Netflix Original series “Narcos.” Now, you can catch episodes from Season 1 on the free streaming service. Season 1 of “Narcos” is streaming weeknights at 10 pm ET, with catch-up episodes the following day beginning at 8pm ET. Binge watch marathons are airing The post Pluto TV Adds ‘Narcos’ to Its Lineup appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- ATSC 3.0 is Live in Mobile-Pensacolaby Jess Barnes on October 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM
NextGen TV is spreading across more of the US, with ATSC 3.0 going live in the Mobile-Pensacola area. The six stations broadcasting NextGen TV in Mobile-Pensacola include WEAR-TV (ABC), WKRG-TV (CBS), WPMI-TV (NBC), WFNA (CW), WFGX (MyNet) and WJTC (IND). NextGen TV will be able to support new features incusing immersive audio and video, broadcasting The post ATSC 3.0 is Live in Mobile-Pensacola appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Apple Quietly Discontinues Apple TV Remote Appby Tmera Hepburn on October 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM
Apple has pulled its remote app from the app store without any advance warning or announcement. The app allowed users to control their Apple TV using a simulated remote control on their iPhone or iPad. But now that the feature comes already built into iOS, we can see why the app seems a little obsolete The post Apple Quietly Discontinues Apple TV Remote App appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Round Up: The Best Early Black Friday Deals at Best Buyby Tmera Hepburn on October 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM
It’s like Christmas came early this year with Best Buy’s lineup of Early Black Friday Deals, and we’ve got the best ones rounded up in one convenient place. This can be your one-stop holiday shop for all the electronic devices and TVs you’ll need for yourself and as gifts this holiday season. Plus, Best Buy The post Round Up: The Best Early Black Friday Deals at Best Buy appeared first on Cord Cutters News.