Latest Tech & Streaming News
- Supreme Court Denies Petition from YouTube Rippers ‘FLVTO’ and ‘2Conv’by Ernesto Van der Sar on January 16, 2021 at 9:24 PM
The US Supreme Court has denied the petition of YouTube rippers FLVTO.biz and 2conv.com over personal jurisdiction questions. The sites' Russian operator Tofig Kurbanov is involved in a legal battle with several major record labels and contests the jurisdiction of US courts. The case is far from over and will now continue at the district court. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Yandex & Mail.ru Reported For Abusing Dominant Positions To Facilitate Piracyby Andy Maxwell on January 16, 2021 at 12:10 PM
An anti-piracy group representing publishers in Russia has reported Internet giants Yandex and Mail.ru to the Eurasion Economic Commission for allegedly abusing their dominant market positions. AZAPI says that through their services and actions, the Internet platforms are creating unfair opportunities for people to download pirated publications at the expense of legitimate companies. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- RIAA Defeats False DMCA Takedown Notice Claims in Courtby Ernesto Van der Sar on January 15, 2021 at 10:47 PM
Popular mixtape platform Spinrilla has failed in its legal quest to hold the RIAA liable for willingly sending inaccurate takedown notices after a federal court in Georgia dismissed the case. While the notices may have been false, Spinrilla has no grounds to request damages as the service didn't remove or disable any files. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- YouTube-DL Fallout: Google Rejects RIAA MP3 Ripper Takedown Noticesby Andy Maxwell on January 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM
There has been an interesting development in the way that Google handles DMCA anti-circumvention notices sent by the RIAA. These have been used dozens of times by the music industry group to have YouTube-ripping platforms removed from Google search. Since the controversy over youtube-dl, however, Google appears to be rejecting similar complaints. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Member of SPARKS Scene Piracy Group Pleads Guiltyby Ernesto Van der Sar on January 14, 2021 at 8:54 PM
One of the key members of Scene piracy group SPARKS has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit copyright infringement. The US Government signed a plea deal with Jonatan Correa, who admitted being part of the notorious Scene group. While the offense is punishable by a maximum sentence of five years in prison, both parties agreed to a guideline of 12 to 18 months. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- The Pirate Bay is Pretty Broken Right Now But Can Be Coaxed Back to Lifeby Andy Maxwell on January 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM
The Pirate Bay retained its position as the world's most popular torrent site at the start of 2021 but all is not well. While the site is up and accessible for most, the index is suffering significant technical problems that due to their confusing nature, have many users scratching their heads. Nevertheless, there are still options to coax it back to life. From: TF, for the latest news on copyright battles, piracy and more.
- Cinemark Stock Rises as Analyst Predicts ‘Moviegoing Habits Will Return’by Tmera Hepburn on January 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM
It’s well known that the Covid-19 has wreaked havoc on movie theaters. Between stay at home orders, occupancy limitations, and full lockdown mandates, it’s been tough for movie house chains to catch a break. But analysts are breathing hope into the system with predictions for 2021. Theater exhibition analyst Eric Wold of B. Riley said The post Cinemark Stock Rises as Analyst Predicts ‘Moviegoing Habits Will Return’ appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- How to Watch Ravens vs Bills on January 16, 2021by Raymond McCain on January 16, 2021 at 6:00 PM
The first game in the AFC Divisional Round will be between two 2018 first-round quarterbacks as Lamar Jackson and the No. 5 Baltimore Ravens (12-5) travel to Bills Stadium to take on Josh Allen and the No. 2 Buffalo Bills (14-3). The Ravens are going to have their hands full as the team ranks first The post How to Watch Ravens vs Bills on January 16, 2021 appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- How to Watch Rams vs Packers on January 16, 2021by Raymond McCain on January 16, 2021 at 4:00 PM
After a blowout against the NFC West champions during Super Wildcard Weekend, No.6 Los Angeles Rams (11-6) travel to the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field to take on No. 1 Green Bay Packers (13-3) in the Divisional Round. Since the Packers are the top seed in the NFC, they were afforded a bye and are The post How to Watch Rams vs Packers on January 16, 2021 appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Weekend Wrap-Up: CES 2021 and AT&T TV Now’s Demiseby Philip Palermo on January 16, 2021 at 2:05 PM
It may have looked a little different this year, but CES 2021 still offered up a number of fancy new TVs and other gadgets for consumers to look forward to in the coming months. Elsewhere, we learned that AT&T is merging its AT&T TV Now service with AT&T TV and Hulu’s offering up a solid The post Weekend Wrap-Up: CES 2021 and AT&T TV Now’s Demise appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Apple TV+ Extends One Year Free Trial Offerby Jess Barnes on January 15, 2021 at 10:00 PM
Good news for everyone who signed up for the free year of Apple TV+ that came with the purchase of new Apple hardware – Apple is adding some extra time to your free trial. 9to5 Mac first reported on the extension, sharing that any Apple TV+ subscription set to expire between now and June will The post Apple TV+ Extends One Year Free Trial Offer appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
- Apple TV+ is Working on a Two-Part Oprah Winfrey Biographyby Tmera Hepburn on January 15, 2021 at 9:15 PM
Apple TV has ordered a biographical documentary on the life and career of the highly successful Oprah Winfrey. The film profile will be a two-part documentary, headed by Lisa Erspamer and Academy Award-winner Kevin MacDonald, the team who produced the Whitney Houston doc, Whitney. Erspamer also produced The Oprah Winfrey Show for 10 years from 1999 to 2009. The post Apple TV+ is Working on a Two-Part Oprah Winfrey Biography appeared first on Cord Cutters News.